Saved By My Sister


Firstly, today is a day of many many blessings. I'm sitting in my hospital room waiting for my beautiful baby sisters fresh and lovely stem cells to be transplanted into my body. Bit of a weird one, just sitting about getting a transplant whilst demolishing a variety pack of crisps

In preparation for this day, if you haven't read so far! I've had about three months of slogging it out in isolation with chemo - which hasn't been all that bad..but I've began to question the integrity of presenters on programmes such as "A Place in the Sun: Winter Sun," so I think it's about time I lay off the TV.

I came to Glasgow at the beginning of May and began two days of chemo and four days of "Total Body Irradation" (which I've yet to google). I finished this yesterday and they let me ring a "finishing bell" - it's the little things people as I jollied out they all make jokes about how once they had seen a bum they have seen every bum etc etc.

So today I start the transplant. Blessing number one - I'm healthy enough to receive a transplant in the first place. If you aren't willing to get up and recover after this, or you aren't mentally sometimes physically able. You will not get the opportunity to get this. It's not just a willy nilly free for all in the transplant section - you gotta be fit and positive! So firstly I'm thankful that I am healthy enough to do this. This morning I got out my bed, stretched my legs and lined my stomach with a good four slices of toast to welcome in the new cells. Not to mention the 8 pack of M&S triple choc chip cookies I ate over night just to let cells know I can keep up with the same amount of sugar intake as sister (joking Ellie, I will lead all readers to believe you take in non diabetic amounts of sugar.)

Secondly, as I may have mentioned 100% sibling donor, I know her cells are here and that she is healthy too. I couldn't imagine going through this without her but the reality of it most people do. It's quite rare to find a tasty match like her - I had a 1/4 chance that that would happen for me and it has.

Thirdly, I live in a country where this is possible. I literally do not know what I would do without the NHS and people who spend so much time and energy putting in the work and knowledge that makes these things possible to happen. Like it's completely incomprehensible how this all works - sorry I may be a bit of a dummy trying to explain my applause, but we should all thank our lucky stars for the NHS and every charity, doctor, nurse, cleaner that supports them. FANTASTIC, so now I can sit, enjoy my crisps whislt I get a transplant....out of the ordinary day for me but absolutely routine for the NHS.

And most importantly, my sister Ellie did an incredible thing! If you knew my sister the thought of her going into hospital and getting needles, hickman lines, doing all this for someone else is a lot a lot out of her way. Of course she didn't have to donate but she absolutely smashed it like a little trouper and I owe her my life. I can't even imagine what this must be like from a stranger, to know that someone would go through all that for you. It's just amazing - brings a tear to my eye it does. Look into donating - it's not advertised and something you here about everyday but it's such an easy way to give back and save a life. I really don't know how to put it simpler! Thank you Ellie, love you a lot.



see rare picture of me getting my transplant this morning.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Chemo Time

THE ULTIMATE RANT

So This Is a lil Bit Hard To Write...